Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Matchmaker, Matchmaker

Deciding to pursue surrogacy seems easy next to actually pursuing surrogacy. I don't just have baby envy now, I have uterine envy. I marvel at my pregnant friends and long for the organ that allows them to grow miracles inside of them. The ladies that are surrogates are no different. They're like women with the super power to grow not only their own babies, but a baby for a deserving person or couple, to actually feel a baby develop into a tiny human that they are loving and caring for for only a small period of time. Some describe it as extreme babysitting. I consider it a miracle.

Ideally, I have prayed for our gestational carrier (GC) to be done bearing their own children, as the risks of pregnancy are there, and I would never forgive myself if someone lost their own dreams while trying to fulfill mine. I have also wanted someone who was nearby if able so that I could participate as much in the pregnancy as possible - attend appointments, help out as the pregnancy progresses, and be able to be there on time for the hopeful full-term delivery. I have wanted someone who was open with communication and responsive, and is wanting a relationship with us and the baby even after our journey is through. I'd like this child to call this woman "Aunt" and for her kids to be like cousins to ours.

Many people have asked if I would consider asking my sister or a family member to carry for us. My sister currently has no children, so that automatically means no as surrogates need to have been pregnant before so the doctor has an expectation of how it should progress. My mom and mother in law are not appropriate candidates either. Knowing this led hubby and I to start research on surrogacy agencies and independent matches and we are currently going through the screening and vetting process with a lady we met through an independent match. Fingers and toes crossed.


No comments:

Post a Comment